Our Strategic Plan
The key to reversing the rapidly spreading epidemic of chronic disease is to address the underlying causes and solutions for chronic disease, which are primarily driven by the lifelong, daily interaction among an individual’s genetics, environment, and lifestyle choices. Functional medicine not only incorporates the latest in genetic science and systems biology, but it also enables physicians and other health professionals to practice proactive, predictive, personalized medicine while empowering patients to take an active role in their own health.
The Institute for Functional Medicine is working toward the following objectives, as outlined in the Strategic Plan:
- Train the healthcare workforce in effective treatment and prevention of chronic disease
- Set proficiency standards for the practice of functional medicine
- Diversify educational models and technology to reach and teach students and practicing clinicians
- Develop new research models for assessing whole-systems practices
- Establish practice-based research networks to validate the most successful applications of functional medicine
- Ensure that emerging scientific evidence on new approaches to chronic disease is continuously integrated into the functional medicine model; collect, synthesize, and disseminate research in lifestyle, systems, and functional medicine
- Collaborate with leaders in academic medicine to ensure the integration of functional medicine into medical schools and residency programs
- Work with employers, insurers, and government agencies to implement pilot programs to demonstrate how the functional medicine model will improve outcomes and reduce costs in the marketplace
- Educate and collaborate with policymakers to support initiatives aimed at transforming medical education, research, and practice
Click HERE to read the entire Strategic Plan
If you are having difficulty opening the document on this page, click here to upgrade your Adobe software free.