IFM Certified Practitioner
The mission of The Institute for Functional Medicine's Certification Program (IFMCP) is to deepen and broaden the expertise and knowledge base of clinicians in the principles and practice of Functional Medicine.
The IFM Certification Program provides the most comprehensive training available in Functional Medicine. The educational materials have been developed by the leaders in the field, and IFM’s teaching faculty have a depth of experience and knowledge honed not only by many years of practice but also by their commitment to the ongoing development of core concepts, tools, and applications. Your IFMCP experience will include the following:
- Focus on a patient-centered, systems biology approach
- Evaluation of principal underlying antecedents, triggers, and mediators in the patient workup
- In-depth application of important dietary, nutraceutical, phytonutrient, mind/body, and pharmacological therapies
- Detailed clinical applications of core functional laboratory testing
- Deepening of important practitioner communication skills focused on developing a therapeutic partnership relationship with clients
- Lecture and case-based learning
- Onsite and online educational activities
- Comprehensive assessment of the fundamental physiological systems that organize the key clinical imbalances and are affected by the mental-emotional-spiritual core: Assimilation, Communication, Defense and repair, Transport, Energy, Structural Integrity, Biotransformation and elimination
for a printable PDF of the Certification Path Diagram.
Steps to Certify
- Complete the following courses:
- Achieve a passing grade on one case report submitted using an IFM-provided template.
- Achieve a passing grade on a written examination following completion of all coursework and submission of the case report by the date set.
- Successfully complete the above requirements within 7 years from an approved application.
IFM Certified Practitioner badge is awarded to graduates of the IFMCP. The badge may be
used on all marketing and promotional materials (website, business
cards/forms/letters, etc.) and will also appear in your listing in IFM's Find A Practitioner
Maintenance/Renewal of Certification
To maintain certification:
- Maintain current IFM membership
- Maintain active clinical health care license
To renew certification:
- Pass a written examination every sixth year following certification
- Provide a copy of your current health care practitioner license